Reach for a slice of this cake rather than a cookie from the cookie jar!
Post pregnancy weight loss or any weight loss program should not involve dieting. Whether you are a new mother or mother with kids beyond the baby stage and you want to get into shape, you need to eat wholesome, unprocessed food and meals that you make yourself. However occasionally you may still feel you need cake! So I devised this chocolate cake recipe which is not only quick to prepare it contains ingredients which contain far more nutrients than a shop brought cake or cookie.
My recipe uses black beans instead of flour as black beans are a good source of vegetable protein so it is very healthy and lower in fat. Vegetable protein is absolutely essential for the body to function, a diet lacking in protein causes a decrease in energy. Protein also helps improve muscle tone and keep sugar cravings at bay. I also use dark chocolate and good quality cocoa powder rather than milk chocolate as dark chocolate contains far less sugar and fat and provides some antioxidants which help reduce your risk of disease.
As a busy new mother or working mother, time to cook homemade meals and bake cakes can be a challenge but this cake is quick, taking just 15 minutes to prepare. It will keep for about 5 days.
For the cake
400g can of black beans or dried black beans
1 cup almond milk (to puree beans)
1 medium orange, grated zest and juice
5 medium sized eggs
1 tsp vanilla extract or vanilla essence
80g of unsalted butter
4 tablespoons of honey
1 teaspoon stevia extract (optional)
4 heaped tablespoons of good quality dark cocoa powder
2 tablespoons of coconut flour
2 teaspoons of baking powder
1 teaspoon of bicarbonate of soda
140g of dark chocolate, at least 70% or more cocoa solids
For the icing (optional)
60g unsalted butter, at room temperature
1/3 cup of honey
1/4 cup of good quality cocoa powder
1 tsp vanilla extract or vanilla essence
1 pinch of sea salt
How to make
- Preheat oven to 170ºC or 350ºF.
- Grease one cake tin (18cm diameter) with a thin layer of butter, then cut some baking paper to size to fit the base of the tin and around the edge.
- Place the canned beans, 2 eggs, almond milk and vanilla, stevia (if using) and salt into a bowl and puree with a hand blender, blender or food processor on a high setting until the beans are completely pureed. If you are using dried beans you’ll need to boil and simmer these beforehand according to the pack instructions.
- In a separate bowl, with an electric mixer cream the butter with the honey until light and fluffy. Slowly add the other eggs. Beat on the slowest speed for one minute, then gradually increase the speed and beat for another minute until light and creamy.
- Next add the orange juice and bean mixture to this mixture and stir.
- Sift the cocoa powder, coconut flour, baking soda and baking powder together over the bowl and slowly fold in until all the ingredients are combined.
- Pour the mixture into the cake tin. Chop the chocolate up into small pieces. Dot them over the batter and push down.
- Bake the cake for 30 minutes until the top springs back when you press on it or when you put in knife into the centre and it comes out clean.
Remove then cake and let it cool in the tin for about 10 minutes.
To make the icing
- To make the icing for the cake, beat all of the icing ingredients with an electric mixer or food processor on a high setting until fully mixed.
- You can place it in the fridge slightly to harden.
- Cut the cooled cake in half and then spread some of the icing onto the top of both halves of the cake, then sandwich together.
- Place the cake on a plate and cover the top and sides with the remaining icing and sprinkle with the orange zest.
- Slice and serve with natural yogurt or plain.
It’s really important you don’t ‘diet’ when you’ve had a baby in an effort to lose the post baby weight, especially if you are breastfeeding. Instead you need to feed your body with good food with lots of vitamins and nutrients that help you tone up, give you energy to get through the sleepless nights and keep your skin looking great (despite the sleepless nights). Enjoy this delicious chocolate cake – take a slice to work or pack into your buggy – your children should like this too!
Do you want to lose your mummy tummy and get back into shape post baby safely without spending hours in the gym?
Do my ’5 Day Mummy Tummy Kick Start’, click
to join today.
It’s free and you get easy ten minute videos you can do at home with expert instruction and delicious, healthy recipes and a done for you shopping list. Join
This is is a syndicated post. Read the original at www.beezkneezhive.com